Dame Muna Rihani Al-Nasser
Ms. Muna Rihani Al-Nasser, Qatari National, born in Jordan, graduated from the CMS School in Amman, and obtained a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration from Jordan University in Amman. She attended courses in art and French in both Geneva and London.
She was the first woman in Jordan to own an art and antiques gallery, “La Coquille”, in Amman. She supported several charities in Jordan.
Since 2008, Ms. Muna Rihani Al-Nasser has been the Chairperson of the UN Women for Peace Association, (UNWFPA). On 2013, in celebration of the International Women Day, she launched a campaign to work to end violence against women girls, starting a rally known as the “March in March” at the United Nations Headquarters in New York, working to generate greater awareness and understanding for prevention of violence against women.
Ms. Muna Rihani Al-Nasser Believes that education is the key to empowering women. Through the UNWFPA, She has sponsored several scholarships that benefit underprivileged women and allow them to study at the University for Peace in Costa Rica. On October 2017, UNWFPA opened, the First UNWFPA School for Syrian Refugee Girls in Lebanon.
Ms. Muna Rihani Al-Nasser sits on several Boards: The United Nations Women Delegate’s Club (UNWDC), The Advisory Council of Bridges of Understanding and The Women International Forum.
She is the Global Ambassador for the Same Sky organization.
Ms. Rihani Al- Nasser is a recipient of several Awards, namely:
- “Award” from the “University for Peace”, in Costa Rica for her contribution to education for Peace.
- The Constantinian Order ranked Dame Grand Cross of the Royal Order of Francis I, by decree Motu Propio on June 1st 2016.
- “Award Certificate” from the Permanent Mission of the Republic of the Gambia to the United Nations, in recognition of her Outstanding leadership, United Nations CSW61, March 17, 2017.
- “Award of Excellence” from “The Smiling Foundation” for Outstanding Dedication and Peace around the World, Sponsored by the Gambia Mission to the UN CSW61 March 2017.
- “Philanthropy Pioneer Award Winner”, From “Women’s Entrepreneurship Day “organization, New York 17 November 2017.
She is married to Mr. Nassir Abdulaziz Al- Nasser, former Ambassador of Qatar and former President of the 66th Session United Nations General Assembly. He presently serves as the High Representative of the United Nations Alliance of Civilizations. Muna and Nassir have a son, Abdulaziz.