UN TRUST FUND TO END VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN
Today, the United Nations Trust Fund in Support of Actions to Eliminate Violence against Women (UN Trust Fund) remains the only global multilateral grant-making mechanism specifically dedicated to addressing violence against women and girls, irrespective of the type of violence and context in which it takes place.
A powerful symbol of the commitment of UN Member States to implement their legal and policy promises to end violence against women, the UN Trust Fund was established in 1996 by UN General Assembly Resolution 50/166. The UN Trust Fund, together with various international instruments that call for ending this pervasive and often invisible human rights violation, represents a key benchmark for making gender equality a concrete, lived reality for millions of women and men, boys and girls.
The UN Trust Fund is an inter-agency mechanism made up of 18 UN agencies and experts from a range of civil society and intergovernmental organizations. Administered by the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UN-Women) on behalf of the United Nations system, the UN Trust Fund brings synergy and coherence to the UN’s work in this critical field and bolsters its capacity to deliver as one.
Guided by its 2010-2015 Strategic Vision, the UN Trust Fund supports programs led by civil society organizations, governments and United Nations country teams aimed at preventing violence, expanding support services to survivors and strengthening the institutional response to violence against women and girls.
THE UN TRUST FUND IS:
• A mechanism for translating government commitments to ending gender-based violence into concrete action.
• A critical source of support for civil society organizations, governments and United Nations country teams seeking to eliminate violence against women & girls.
• A tool for empowering men & women to challenge norms, practices & beliefs that fuel violence.
• A driver of change, pioneering & nurturing innovative approaches to preventing and addressing violence against women & girls.
• A generator and hub of evidence-based knowledge on how to prevent violence against women & girls.
• A platform for mobilizing key actors and constituencies to advance national strategies to end violence against women & girls.
• An investment in the future of all women & girls.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS OF THE UN TRUST FUND
• Engaging Schools in Violence Prevention Efforts
• Mobilizing Communities to Prevent Violence
• Harnessing the Power of Television to Transform Social Norms
• Equipping Migrant Women with the Tools to Prevent Victimization
• Expanding Survivor Access to Support Services
• Developing Integrated Models of Service Delivery
• Providing Critical Services to Survivors in Conflict and Post-Conflict Countries
• Connecting Marginalized Woman to Essential Services
• Strengthening the Institutional Response to Violence
• Building Responsive Justice Systems
• Empowering Communities to Stop Sexual Harassment in the Workplace
• Building Government Capacity to Develop Comprehensive Anti-violence Legislation